Projects That Do Not Require Permits
All construction projects, whether or not they are issued permits, must comply with City regulations about construction listed in this information guide.
If your project is not on this list, it probably requires a permit. If you are unsure, please call us at (949) 497-0712 or stop by the Building Counter at City Hall for more assistance with permitting. Find information about Building Permits here.
- Interior painting, wallpapering, tiling, carpeting, or other finish work that does not involve electrical, mechanical, or plumbing. Exterior painting may require a permit.
- Walls and fences less than 30 inches in height measured from the top of footings, unless they are located within 3 feet of the property line or the public right-of-way.
- Retaining walls less than 30 inches in height, unless they are located within 3 feet of the property line or the public right-of-way, or if they will support a surcharge, or if they will contain flammable liquids.
- Swingsets and other unenclosed recreational equipment provided the structure does not cover more than 120 square feet and is less than 12 feet above the ground.
- Minor repairs to plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems.