The Laguna Beach City Council has requested the preparation of a comprehensive amendment to the City's Downtown Specific Plan
The downtown is the focus of the City's social, cultural, commercial, civic, artistic and recreational activities. The primary objective of the Downtown Specific Plan
is to preserve and enhance the unique character of the downtown.
The Downtown Specific Plan
was adopted by the City Council in 1989, after several years of work by a Citizen's Advisory Committee to identify significant planning issues and develop a policy base for the plan. Since 1989, the Downtown Specific Plan
has been amended nine times, including one comprehensive amendment in 2000, which included the expansion of the Plan boundary to the Boys & Girls Club on Laguna Canyon Road, and the creation of the Civic Art District.
Some of the Plan areas to be evaluated for potential modification include, but are not limited to, expansion of the Civic Art District to the Act V and the Laguna College of Art and Design sites, the types and locations of the various downtown districts and their intent and purpose, allowed uses in each district, the general provisions/development standards, issue statements and policies, design guidelines and implementation measures.
The Planning Commission is actively seeking input regarding the potential amendment of the Downtown Specific Plan
from community members, property owners, and business owners in the downtown. For additional information / updates or to be added to the City's notification list, please contact Associate Planner Wendy Jung at (949) 497-0321 or firstname.lastname@example.org
UPDATE: The DSP Subcommittee will make its recommendation of consultant selection to assist with the preparation of a comprehensive update to the Downtown Specific Plan and review of Laguna Canyon Road zoning issues at the July 15, 2014, City Council meeting.
Video Urban Planner Public Forum
Map of Downtown Specific Plan Area
- August 15, 2012 - Planning Commission approved a Work Program, which outlines the tasks and timelines for preparation and approval of the Downtown Specific Plan amendment.
- September 19, 2012 - Community Workshop
- November 1, 2012 - Community Workshop
- January 12, 2013 - Planning Commission Downtown Walking Survey / Tour
- January 30, 2013 - Community Workshop
- April 3, 2013 - Community Workshop
- April 17, 2013 - Community Workshop
- May 15, 2013 - Community Workshop
- May 29, 2013 - Community Workshop
- April 16, 2014 - Public Forum *The public forum will be televised on COX local channel 30 (analog) and channel 852 (digital).
- July 15, 2014 - City Council meeting. The DSP Subcommittee will make its recommendation of consultant selection to assist with the preparation of a comprehensive update to the DSP and review of Laguna Canyon Road zoning issues.