50th Brooks Street Surf Contest
- The waiting period for the 50th Brooks Street Surf Contest begins on Friday, May 31! The surf contest, touted as the oldest surfing classic in the world, is open to Laguna Beach residents only. This year, the contest “window” will include Fridays in addition to the weekend to increase the likelihood the event will occur. To download the registration form, please visit
or for more information call the Community Services Department at (949) 497-0716.
Pancake Breakfast at Heisler Park
- Off-duty members of the Fire, Marine Safety, and Police Departments will be flipping pancakes and cooking sausages at Heisler Park on Memorial Day. These public safety employees volunteer their time to assist members of the Laguna Beach Exchange Club raise money to support projects that prevent child abuse. Pancakes will be served from 7:00 a.m. until 10:30 a.m., when the American Legion Post will begin their Memorial Day ceremony at Monument Point.
Special Olympic Torch Run
- Many of the City’s public safety employees will participate again this year in the annual Special Olympics Torch Run on Thursday morning May 30. In a show of support for the children and adults with intellectual disabilities who participate in the games, members of the Police, Fire, and Marine Safety departments will donate their time to carry the torch from City Hall to Newport Beach where members of that Police Department will continue the effort.
Shakespeare in the Park
- The Arts Commission will be presenting free concerts on June 7, 14 and 21, 2013 at 6:30 p.m. at the amphitheater in Heisler Park. Performing will be Shakespeare’s Fool featuring Jason Feddy and John Gardiner along with weekly guests. The performance will feature the songs and speeches from the plays of William Shakespeare. This program is funded by the lodging establishments and City of Laguna Beach.
- On Tuesday, four murals were installed on the Verizon Building located on Broadway. The four temporary murals, painted by local artists Bob Bonn, Patrick Moran, Tom Swimm and Mike Tauber will be on display for two years. The murals are located on the wall facing the Whole Foods parking lot. Verizon intends to renovate the exterior of the building in the coming months. This mural program is funded by the lodging establishments and City of Laguna Beach. (Image attached.)
Lifeguard Headquarters Art in Public Places
- On May 13, 2013 the Arts Commission considered designs by four finalists who presented their proposals for a mural installation at the new Lifeguard Headquarters facility. A design by Terry Thornsley is recommended for installation. The City Council will review the recommendation at its meeting on June 4, 2013. (Images attached.)
North Coast Interceptor Valve Replacement
- The City’s contractor, Orion Corporation, will be replacing an old and deteriorated valve assembly on the North Coast Interceptor (NCI) wastewater transmission pipeline. The valve assembly is in a manhole located in the center of South Coast Highway near Montage Drive. The Contractor is planning to set up traffic control and restrict the Highway traffic to one lane in each direction at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday evening May 30, 2013. The work will be completed by 6:00 a.m. the next day.
Lifeguard Headquarters and Public Restroom
- The waterproofing at the basement level has been completed. Reinforcing bar has been placed for the foundation of the building and concrete will be placed on Thursday, May 23. This pour will be the largest volume of concrete placed at one time for the project. Due to the large number of concrete trucks arriving on the site in a relatively short time frame, a lane closure will be set up in the southbound lane to allow the trucks to safely enter and exit the site.